Error 1401: Could not create key “HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21\Software\Classes”. Verify that you have sufficient access to that key.
- These errors all occur when the Windows Installer cannot successfully modify the registry.
- These errors occur when the installer cannot create, read, or write the necessary entries.
- This problem appears when you don’t have permission to required registry or if the registry entry is corrupted.
- The logged on user may not have sufficient permission to install the software.
- Start > Run > type regedit
- Navigate to path shown in error message “HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21\Software\Classes”
- Select that specific registry, right click and select “Permissions”
- Give full control permission to EVERYONE & SYSTEM account
- Click OK and Apply.
Verify the Registry Permissions:
- Click Start > Run
- type regedit and then press Enter.
- Select HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT, on the Edit menu, click Permissions.
- Verify that the SYSTEM & EVERYONE account has been added and that it has Full control. If it does not, add the SYSTEM & EVERYONE account with Full control.
- Please use the same method to give Full control permission to the following registry keys: HKEY_CURRENT_USER HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE